My high school years included watching The Late Show with David Letterman. He is a Hoosier who has a strange sense of humor and was (back then) “pushing the envelope” on late night television. My friends and I particularly loved his top ten lists. In fact I still love them. So here are the TOP TEN reasons to join in the all church book study of Philip Yancey’s What’s So Amazing About Grace for Lent as a way to deepen your journey with God and grow in connection with this church community. Here we go:
10. We can never hear enough GREAT stories! (God’s story, the book’s stories, your story, and new and old friends’ stories.)
9. More time with friends! Deepen friendships, and invite friends into this great discussion of grace and life!
8. A way to grow and not gain weight! Seeking God through study and community we grow in faith, our heart and spirit are strengthened and the weight of our lives is carried in the hands of God!
7. Who knows, you may be entertaining angels. We hope that folks will invite friends outside the church to join in. You have the opportunity, then to welcome strangers; scripture tells us when you do, you may be entertaining angels!
6. You honor another “I do” in your life! Part of your baptismal covenant with God is vowing to live out that covenant as a member of the church (Christ’s body) and to practice a deepening faith. Intentionally dedicating six weeks to deepening your faith in community during Lent is a GREAT way to honor God and your vow!
5. You have a great reason to rest and read! Sometimes life is all about go-go-go! By tending to your life with God and reading this book, you have a divine reason to rest your body and rest in God’s arms!
4. We’re tired of broken things and divided groups. Youth, college students, middle ages, mature and elder ages with different backgrounds and experiences… all will be seeking God together, united in God’s grace and this Lenten study journey.
3. Christ is SURE to show up! Where two or more are gathered in Christ’s name, HE IS THERE!
2. More grace is better! The gift of grace that heals us, forgives us, and connects us to others is from Christ. We get to spend six weeks immersing ourselves in God’s grace!
1. Our hearts, lives and world are thirsty for grace! We all know areas of life which could use more forgiveness, which need more justice, and which long for amazing and sustaining grace.
Join in a discussion group. Consider joining a group of folks you haven’t studied with before. Invite friends to join. Use the website (www.oldbethel.org) to read summaries, find a reflection question or listen to sermons that go along with the study. Invite a friend, co-worker, or neighbor to join in this SHORT term study and worship series!
Our 5th Annual Souper Bowl Luncheon is this Sunday, February 7. This lunch of delicious soups and chilies and warm fellowship will be served from 10:45-12:30. People’s Choice awards will again be given so be sure to cast your vote for your favorite. We need you to bring a pot of your favorite soup in a crockpot with your name on it.
If you are interested in becoming a part of the Old Bethel Church family or would like to take the next step in your spiritual journey, come to our next Starting Point session, Sunday February 7, 12:30-2:30pm. Learn about the vision and values of the Old Bethel faith community and what is unique about United Methodists. Please email email@example.com to RSVP.
Ash Wednesday worship is February 10 at 6:15pm, after the Gathering meal. We begin our Lenten journey towards Easter with this reflective time of worship which will include the imposition of ashes.
Serving Christ Together,